Career Canada Immigration – Canadian Study Permits
An individual who is a foreign nationality holder enrolled at the Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is required to obtain a permit for study. It is a status document for studying in Canada that gives temporary permission to the foreign national for a limited period.
The applicant should apply for this document before moving to Canada. However, the holder of a student permit cannot travel using this document. The visa is required to travel to and from Canada.
If you want to apply for this category, you should fulfill the following requirements:
- Acceptance letter: you are required to provide an acceptance letter issued from a designated academic institute located in Canada
- Funds: the applicant is required to attach the document, which gives a proof of funds. These funds should be sufficient to support yourself and pay for the tuition fees during the study period.
- Purpose behind staying: You should provide a clear studying purpose in Canada. You should be able to fully satisfy the immigration officeholder that you will immediately leave Canada within the validity period of study.
- Background: To get a study visa, you should not have any kind of criminal history or record.
- Medical fitness: You need to undertake a complete medical checkup to display that you are medically fit and in good health before you travel to Canada.
Using Student Direct Stream to Get Study Permit
The international students who have Chinese, Philippines, Indian or Vietnamese residency are eligible to apply under the category of Student Direct Stream. If you fall under this category, you are required to give the following documents with your application:
- An acceptance letter copy issued from an authorized academic institute in Canada
- Upfront medical examination document copy
- Proof of $10,000 Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
- A proof that you have already paid the tuition fees of the first study year
- An evidence showing that you have studied at Canadian curriculum high school or have undertaken a language test IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with at least six scores in English or at least seven score in or Niveaux de compétence Linguistique canadiens for French
If your application does not meet this criterion, it will be dealt with under the process of a regular study permit.
Study Permit Stay Duration
Generally, the duration of study permit validity is according to the study program duration for which you are enrolled. However, you can take 90 days extension to prepare for leaving Canada or applying for study extension.
- If you are unable to complete your study course before the expiration of the study period, you should apply for study permit extension before your current study permit expires.
- If your study finishes early, your study permit becomes invalid 90 days before the completion of your studies (irrespective of the date printed on the study permit). The study completion date can be either the one you are notified from your institute or when you obtain your degree or certificate or diploma.
Study Period Extension
- If the date of your study permit expiration is approaching, you should apply for an extension to stay in Canada, if the situation allows you. The extension in the study period is provided only if there is a genuine reason to support your application.
- You should apply for the study period extension at least 30 days before the expiration of your current status. For this, you are required to fill the IMM 129 form, which is an application to the changing conditions or to extend your period of stay in Canada.
Exemptions for Obtaining Study Permit
There are few exemptions for obtaining study permit, which include the following:
- If you are visiting Canada to study for short-term (less than6 months or 6 months)
- If you are a foreign representative’s family or staff member who holds accreditation from Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- If you are foreign armed forces member fulfilling official duties in Canada
- If you are another country citizen who holds Registered Indian Status within Canada
- Under some circumstances, minor children
A Message for Students and Guardians
There are several internationally recognized educational institutions in Canada. These highly acclaimed institutes not just give a fantastic life-changing study experience to the students but also have the highest educational standards.
A large number of students temporarily move to Canada to have better educational opportunities. We expect that international students will enjoy their stay in Canada and have a fantastic experience. It’s a great country to establish yourself, personally and financially. As a student, you will not only learn about diverse cultures but also get to discover themselves. We congratulate you on selecting Canada!